Tuesday, December 28, 2010
Blustery winds may be blowing artic blasts of snow, but SPRING 2011 Menswear offerings are piping HOT! This, unequivocally, was the season to be present at the unveiling of Menswear Spring/Summer 2011. Editors, usually bored to tears by the staid, bland, and the typical, had to restock their ink wells and designer notepads to keep up with the splendid forecast: Eye poping color, daring silhouettes, and refreshing proportions. The H-E-A-T- is on!
Tuesday, December 14, 2010
Saturday, August 28, 2010
Wednesday, August 4, 2010
"The City of Brotherly Love" is Philadelphia's famed moniker, but its informally known as 'The City of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection' too. While just a mere 2 hours from New York City, in its own right a distinct locale laden with diverse inpiration. Here, The Art Institute re-introduced me to my love affair with all things CREATIVE. Nothing beats the eccletic neighborhoods, the epicurean delights, and awesome architecture of this famed town. Tiny row-homes wink, million dollar pied-a-terre purr, while bombastic mansions serenade any visitor. Philly offers itself up to those thirsty for inspiration. And, that's precisely how SUMMER 2010 found me: stimulated by the very same locales I've passed a million times. Note: Pic. # 1 is a fairly new restaurant/bar with an surprising balcony overlooking a tiny street. Pic # 2 is a knitted performance piece located in tony Rittenhouse Square Park. (Yes, that is actually knitted to the tree!)
Wednesday, July 28, 2010
The mantra, "Don't judge a book by its cover," is heralded like scripture. Have you ever really looked at a man's shoes? Whether they are brand-new, slightly worn, or cracked with age-they will always be terribly interesting more or less because of who he is. Does $1000 Barker Black's say, 'I'm a Doctor in Private Practice,'or do the neon colored Converse hightops scream "Rebel-Artiste'-Silicon Valley-Urban- Professional?" Whatever your perspective dictates, a fine pair of shoes gives men sure footing (pardon the pun) in their varied wardrobes.
Friday, June 18, 2010
1. Wear all White this SUMMER!
2. Plan a real House Party & have it catered and hire a young up & coming DJ to spin music all night long...
3. Transform your bedroom room into a calm haven: clear the counter tops and floors, add some fresh flowers or live plants, store all clothing and shoes in your closets for once and for all!
4. Grill dinner this Summer: enjoy the extended daylight and dine on fresh fish, sun-brewed ice tea, and a cold crisp seafood salad
5. 'Adopt' a cultured elderly person into your family...a retired banker, a former model, a one-time writer, a past mayor- take them to lunch and get inspired 'to Be!'
6. Purchase a piece of Art work from the next Art Showcase, student bazaar, or local college open house-then watch your house evolve into your castle.
7. Decorate your son/daughter's room with them in mind: boys still like sports, animal & outdoor themes and girls adore princess, cartoon, & 'fashion' themes
8. Refine your vocabulary: There is no such thing as "Rich People." But, there are certainly individuals who live richly regardless of their income/tax bracket and that's all that is really important.
9. Realize that the greatest gift to give to children is their own identity: if they ever lose their way, Right is Right & Wrong is Wrong wherever you live in the universe!
10. Declare that Sundays in the SUMMER to be TV free! Instead, take in a evening movie, visit a major city, make it a 'family night on the town.'
Monday, February 22, 2010
Ralph Lauren is being noted here not for the diverse accolades he's received (COTY '70, Neiman-Marcus Service Award '71, CFDA Humanitarian Award '98) but, for making sense out of the worn out diatribe, "What does a modern man wear?." Dressing the quintessential gentleman and those that aspire to appear as such, Ralph Lauren draws inspiration from a bygone era. Today, his sense of elegance and refinement puts the "C" in 'Cool!' Without the typical fanfair of a "big runway show circus," he is said to be the benchmark by which many derive the answer to "What does a modern man wear?." At Ralph Lauren/POLO, classics such as the Blue Blazer, wool slacks, and the polo shirt, are tweaked and made 'do able' even for the 21st Century. The Duke of Windsor, Fred Astair, and Miles Davis are deftly referenced to in POLO's Purple Label custom-made suit collection, his perky English Madder Ties, and butter soft leather demi-boots. Just recently, Mr. Lauren received yet another accolade, "Chevalier de la Legion d'honneur" presented by French President Nicolas Sarkozy (Paris). Polo by Ralph Lauren leads not by making a big splashy point, but by being T-H-E reference point! Sublime!